Before this year, I had only been to two funerals. One was the father of a family friend, and the other was my dentist, who worked with another family friend. In the last two months, I have two relatives die. I wrote before of my cousins’ father who passed away suddenly in Italy; now of my aunt from New York, who has been struggling with breast cancer for many years now. Both of which had young adult children. Though only God knows for sure, I believe that both of these relatives are in heaven right now, so as I do not mourn their deaths as a time of sadness and melancholy, I praise their lives and the legacy they have left behind. My heart goes out to my cousins. Jenna and Brandon, who looked up to their father so much, will not get to share their wedding days with their father. Kate and Charles, both still in college, must learn how to continue with life through the death of another parent and know that they are not truly orphaned. With the hope of seeing their parents again someday in heaven and leaning on God as their source of life and love, they can pursue a life of joy walking with Jesus Christ.
Out of these deaths, I have been given a greater picture of family. Though through each death, not every member could be physically present at either funeral, everyone was brought together in thoughts and prayers. I wish I could be in New York right now. I haven’t had the privilege of spending much time with Kate and Charles, but I want to be there for them. I can’t imagine what it would be like to loose a parent (much less both), and I hope not to encounter that anytime soon. I am amazed at the courage these two have shown throughout the last few months (and years) and I pray that God will work through their situations for his glory.
My mom, along with her other siblings and family, will be traveling to NY tomorrow for the formal viewing and the funeral will take place on Saturday.
1 comment:
Julianna,
I will be praying for your mom and her sibs as they go through this hard time. Even as Christians it is still hard to lose a loved one before "their time" as we would think it to be. I'm sure your cousins are encouraged just knowing that you are there for them through prayer and available for phone calls if needed :)
Post a Comment