Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Figure Skating

My favorite sport has always been Figure Skating. My first celebrity idol was Nancy Kerrigan (and I hated Tania Harding). I used to "skate" around on the hardwood floors with my slippy socks. When Rachel and I shared a room, Nancy Kerrigan and Kristy Yamaguchi adorned our walls. I have continued to love Figure Skating throughout the years, and right now, during the Vancouver Olympics, I am as excited as ever. The USA Olympic Men's Team is amazing this year, and I am anxious to see how they preform in the Free Skate tomorrow night. Last night's Short program was exciting: amazing performances by some, disappointing by others. Here are the men to watch during tomorrow's performances.

Jeremy Abbott
Team USA
Age: 24
2010 US Nationals Champion
Place after Short Program: 14th
After a disappointing short program, Jeremy is pretty much out of the running for medal contention. He says via Twitter (@JeremyAbbottpcf): I promise with all my heart that there will be a reason to smile on Thursday! My goals are out of reach, but my Olympics is not over yet!" Jeremy is a beautiful skater, and if he shakes off his faults in last nights program, he should put on a great performance.


Johnny Weir
Team USA
Age: 25
Place after Short Program: 6th
Johnny Weir is the most outspoken and flamboyant skater in US Figure Skating. He most likely will not achieve Gold, but he could pull off Olympic Bronze if the other top skaters falter in the Free Skate. Johnny is all about the show. Even if he falls, his movement and costumes are "fabulous".

Daisuke Takahashi
Japan
Age: 23
Place after Short Program: 3rd
I didn't know who he was before last night. He won a world junior championship in '02, but hasn't metaled in any major world skating events since then. He put on an amazing short program, and is right up with the top contenders for a metal.


Evan Lysacek
Team USA
Age: 24
2009 World Champion
Place after Short Program: 2nd
Evan Lysacek is the clean-cut, hard-working, American skater. He trains hard and meticulously thinks through each competition. Evan is in the perfect spot to medal tomorrow night, but he will be trying his hardest for Olympic Gold against Plushenko. If he pulls it off, not he will be the first American man to win gold since Brian Boytano in 1988, and the first reigning World Champion to win Olympic Gold since Scott Hamilton in 1984.

Evgeni Plushenko
Russia
Age: 27
2006 Olympic Gold Medalist
Place after Short Program: 1st
Plushenko is the most confident (and arrogant) skater (possibly ever?). He retired from competitive skating after his gold in '06, but returned in '09 to train for Vancouver. He thinks he is on a level of his own, and wont let anyone forget who he is. He's just going to have to prove that tomorrow night. Even if he does get gold, I think he'll be surprised by how little margin there will be between scores.

I will be sitting at the edge of my seat for the Free Skate, cheering on Lysacek. He says he is fueled by being the underdog, which he certainly is coming up against Evgeni Plushenko.

No comments: