Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Month Without Sweets

I decided to cut out sweets for the month of January. No, it's not a "new years resolution" and yes, I know it's not Lent.

I decided I needed to take a step to pursue a healthy lifestyle. I knew it had to be done by cutting out unnecessary sugars. I have said "no" to ice cream, cake, chocolate, milkshakes, cookies, etc. Most who know me well would be amazed. Half a month has passed and I'm doing pretty well! I haven't been perfect (waffle for breakfast? NOT a good idea.) It's pretty amazing how when you cut out sweets completely, you don't crave it as much. And when you do eat something with a lot of refined sugar, it makes you feel yucky. I've come to notice how much sugar goes into my mouth just because I'm offered it. Sweets that I wouldn't necessarily eat with much enjoyment (not with dislike, but with indifference).

I'm hoping this will be a stepping stone to a healthier me. I can definitely see February 1st coming around and turning back to my own habits. But I'm hoping I will be able to press on and cut more unnecessary things out of my diet. It's all about attitude! I CAN do it! hopefully...

4 comments:

Larissa said...

Whoo Hoo! Good for you. It's hard isn't it? When we started cutting out sugar it was relatively easy for me to find un-sweetened versions of my regular foods like bread, yogurt, cereal, jelly, sauces, etc., but it was SO hard to say no to dessert. I'm really good at walking through the grocery store and not buying any treats, but if I visit you and you offer me a cookie, I will eat it. So much for self-control. =) So I'm impressed. Good for you!

Jacob Cementina said...

Christian turned me onto his "Weekday Diet". You basically eat anything you want on the weekends, which makes it easier to pass up the unneccesary stuff during the week. Plus you don't crave things until you can't take it any more and end up breaking down and giving in and then go crazy and overdo it and hate yourself in the morning.

Julianna said...

Mom started the "Weekday Diet." The weekend was Friday - Sunday. And candy that was sitting out didn't count because they were sitting there needed to be eaten. Even this diet only lasted her a week...

I actually haven't found myself craving anything. I haven't cut out sugar altogether, just anything that would fall under the category of "sweets." The only time it was stressing me out was when I was having a bad day and all I wanted was a piece of chocolate. But then I took a nap and I felt better. I also think I'm more likely to overdo it if I know I can't have something on the weekdays but I can on the weekends...

Mama Mote said...

The first thing I took out of my diet was sodas, even diet sodas. Then I took out desserts, except now I eat sugar free fudgsicles and I'll still have some ice cream or pie once in awhile. Then I added veggies and fruit - what a concept! I've lost almost 40 lbs. since last May. I sort of peaked, but then I haven't been exercising regularly. Imagine what would happen if I did that? You can do it, Julianna. It's better to start now at your young age than to weight till my age and end up with a disease that FORCES you to diet. Type 2 diabetes caught up with me. So, keep it up, girl. Oh, and I don't have seconds and I try to choose the healthiest things. It's taken a long time and I'm still working at it, but for me, it's all worth it, esp. if I can lose more weight and get off meds.