Wednesday, April 15, 2009

American Idol



It is time for some American Idol rants and raves.  

As you may know, AI is my favorite show.  I try to never miss it, and I love to have friends on my floor come watch it with me.  It is about this time in the season when I get very invested.  As of last week, we are down to the actual good singers in the competition; now we wait and see how song choice and likability determines how much longer each contestant has in the competition.

Rant: Last week's show went 10 minutes over, much to the dismay of Tvo watchers who missed Adam Lambert's performance, and so producers decided to only let two judges speak for each contestant.  BAD idea.  Who wants to hear what Randy and Kara have to say about anyone?  Paula is just funny ("those that matter don't care," really, Paula?), but Simon is the only one that knows anything.  You just can't fit 7 songs with 4 judges commenting in one hour- so extend the time ABC!  Because of the 2 judge rule, the contestants got cheated off of fair judging.  Randy- Kris was not pitchy, and his song choice was much better than all the other contestants!


Rave: I am a big fan of Kris Allen.  He has come so far from the heats when he was the cute, unassuming guy, who happened to make it into the top 13.  Now he has grown into a great singer who knows who he is and is just happy to be there.  He doesn't try too hard like everyone else.  He picks a song he likes and puts his heart into it.  He also didn't have to hide his wife away, like Simon thought he should have, to get the girl vote.  I love that he is a newlywed.  You can see how much he loves his wife, and that makes him even cuter.  

My Top 7: 
1. Kris Allen
2. Allison Iraheta
3. Adam Lambert
4. Matt Girard
5. Danny Gokey
6. Anoop Desai
7. Lil Rounds

Though I do think Adam is, by far, the most talented of the bunch, I'm getting tired of him.  I would love to see him pick a song that is different from the kinds of songs he's been singing.  I know he can do musical theater- I want to see it!  Allison is great, she needs better song choices in the next few weeks to stay in the game.  Matt has some talent, but not as much fan base.  Danny will be a great Christian Contemporary artist after this, but he probably wont make it much farther.  Anoop has his ups and his downs.  Last night was great though.  Lil set herself up too high in the beginning.  She would be pretty good if we didn't all expect greatness from her.  She got into the top 13 with the judges believing she was the best singer in the contest, but she hasn't shown that week to week.  
So far, I've gotten all my predictions right, with who is going home this season.  But now its harder.  I'm guessing bottom three will be Anoop, Matt and Lil again.  All of them have been there before.  If Lil goes, Allison will have to to stand her ground as the only female left in the competition.  

No comments: