I voted for John McCain in the election, but that doesn't mean I wasn't ecstatic about Obama's inauguration yesterday. I believe that change of power is a good thing for any leading force and his inauguration was a sign of democracy at work. I am registered independent, because I don't think that either party has everything right. I voted Republican because I sway slightly more conservative. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I am excited to see what Obama actually brings to this nation. I have always believed that no matter what your politics, you have to respect the President of the United States. First off, God put him in that place of leadership. Secondly, he is only human, he makes mistakes, but he is trying his best. Thirdly, I am proud to live in a country where leaders are elected by majority and change every 4 years, and he is who this system brought. 
I'm excited to see what a change in government will bring. I've never been very interested in politics. I don't have strong views on many political concerns, so my views are on the government itself. I think it is working. If Obama's changes aren't all they are cracked up to be, then we have a chance to change things again in four years. Sure, I'm sad that, with a democratic president, no positive changes will be made on behalf of unborn children, but if we always had a republican president, democracy would not be working.

Having said that, I think the Obamas are amazing people. Barack and Michelle are intelligent people with a terrific personalities and on-camera presence. They are people that you just want to be friends with. I think a likable president is what we need right now. Our country has been very divided and I believe he will bring us all together. Generationally, his election got young people involved in politics. Racially, he has stepped over amazing barriers. We have come a long way, but prejudice is still around and racial stereotypes are never good. Our president is half black. How cool is that?!

And how cute are Sasha and Malia? Two of my best friends are Natasha and Malia, so I still think its funny that those are the first daughters' names. They are going to have a great time in the white house. I hope they can stay semi-normal growing up in the spotlight. Some are worried about how they will grow up, but I think they will be 10x better than actors/singers growing up in the spotlight (see Miley Cyrus and Lindsay Lohan). Singers are pressured to change and grow up too quickly, first children almost have to opposite pressures. Unless Malia goes through an intense teenage rebellion phase, they will be fine. They live in the coolest place ever, and got to hang out with the Jonas Brothers at home last night. So far, the Jonas Brothers are a good example of young celebrities keeping their heads as they are thrust more into the spotlight in a way that Miley seems to be failing. Sasha and Malia have good taste in music and role models.

3 comments:
Obviously, I've been on too long to be able to see your latest posts. But this one is great. You are so right about honoring our President even if you don't agree with him or didn't vote for him or whatever. I wasn't a fan of President Clinton, but because he was our President, I knew I had to pray for him and respect him. It makes me sad to see all the Bush-bashing that's been going on and when he left Washington, to hear the rudeness of people. Anyway, good post. Oh, and I think the family will do well, including the girls. I think they have a good foundation and parents who are very concerned about them leading a semi-normal life - and who love them so much.
yay for new posts and a new look. it made a good break to my work day! :-)
I was sad to hear that one of his first things was to reverse the ban on Federal money to abortion clinics... this just a few days after Sanctity of Life Sunday! But I do know that God has him there for a reason... we will wait and see what that reason is!
Post a Comment