Sunday, July 25, 2010

God sure does answer prayer...

As of two days ago, I had pretty much made a decision, but couldn’t really say it with confidence. I continued in prayer for decision-making and received an answer in the form of this morning’s sermon. Pastor Tim spoke on the story of Abraham finding a wife for his son Isaac. His main point was that faith is not just waiting on God, but faith acts! Every bullet point he spoke over seemed to relate directly to my situation.

  1. Abraham’s Faith in Action
    1. He acknowledges the Lord when faced with this need.
    2. He obeys the Lord in what he knows.
    3. He acts by faith in what he doesn’t know, believing God will work.
    4. He leaves room for the Lord not to work (in expected ways).
  2. A Servant’s Faith in Action
    1. He obeys the authority in his life, embarking on his own journey of faith.
    2. He boldly asks the Lord to act through his circumstances.
    3. He is wise, focused and compelling in his relationship with Rebekah’s family.
    4. He gives the Lord the glory for all things and every step of the way.
  3. Rebekah’s Faith in Action
    1. She is kind and hospitable to a stranger.
    2. She recognizes the call of God on her life
    3. She is willing to leave the familiarity of her place, people and comfort for a long journey into the unknown.

That last one left me laughing in the pew. How much more of a direct push for this next step could I receive?

I love lists. I think they are an integral part of the decision-making process. On one such list, written two weeks ago, on why I should stay home, included: feeling comfortable at home, building relationships with SLO friends, and going back to an old job. All equaling familiarity of place, people and comfort. My list of why I shouldn’t move? Insecurity. Leaving friends. Leaving perfect weather. All comfort driven. The first note I wrote about Abraham was this: he wouldn’t let himself get comfortable in his circumstances. Why? So he could be open to God’s work in his life.

So, thanks Lord, for letting me know your hand is in my decision-making process and giving me reminders of what my life should be about.

1 comment:

Lisa Lewis said...

Yes Our Great, Loving, and Very Personal God does indeed answer prayer! So glad to be able to walk through this season of unknown with you Julianna and to have the privilege of knowing the struggle and seeing the joy! You are going to grow and be stretched and shaped further into the woman God intends you to be! Thanks for sharing!