Monday, July 26, 2010

It's Official: I'm Moving to THE SOUTH

My mom, having grown up in Georgia, raised me with the hospitality and sophistication of a southerner, but with the attitude and demeanor of a California gal. I’ve always felt part Southern Belle, like it was part of my genetics. So where does a recent college grad with no job go to find herself? Back to her roots.

On Friday, August 27, I will be venturing to the land of my forefathers- the Deep South- Athens, GA. For three months, I will be living with my aunt Julie and working for her at the Interfaith Hospitality Network, a non-profit operating in the Athens area, which brings together local churches and faith communities to assist the homeless population. My main focus: putting my degree into action. I will assist with day-to-day operations, but also develop the Public Relations and Events programs within the organization. First on the agenda is a golf tournament in late September. Thankfully, I have some experience with golf tournaments through my internship at Biola. IHN has done this event in the past, but I will be able to step in and take on as much responsibility for it as I am able.

I will also be putting my minor to the test. I am taking a leap of faith, leaving a world that I know and love, perfect weather and long-time friends, to go to a city where I know a total of five people- all of who are relatives. I already have a church- Athens Presbyterian, where I will be singing in the choir under the direction of my uncle Tom. But I would love to get involved with the campus evangelical organizations, such as Intervarsity, at UGA. I will also be taking the opportunity of being away from habits I have created at home to make better habits of walking with God daily and making unceasing prayer a reality. In this last year at Biola, my eyes have been opened to the knowledge of the Spirit. It will take diligence in studying this part of my faith personally, especially while attending a Presbyterian congregation not known for emphasis in the third person of the trinity. I’ve been told since 7th grade that I need to “make my faith my own,” but after following the doctrine of one church all my life and attending a very similar Evangelical university, it is time to step away from doctrines I know and love, and put “my own” faith to the test. What comes of this faith when I am cut off from the familiar pouring from my friends and “Non-denominational” communities and find myself in a whole new society? I can “make my faith my own,” but I’m not sure it can be done while everyone around me has the exact same faith. I will need prayer. I will need daily devotionals in my Bible. And I will need to read from people who know better than I.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

So sad you're leaving, but I can't wait to hear more about your journey!

Mama Mote said...

First, were you named after your Aunt Julie? :) Wow, Julianna. This is so exciting for you, you little Southern Belle, you! I will definitely be praying for you and following your adventure. Sounds like a really great thing you are getting involved with. You'll do well, I'm sure. And you WILL be put to the test, so I'll pray for strength from God and His protection of your heart. love you, girl, and many hugs

Julianna said...

Thanks for your prayers!!! And yes, I was named after my aunt Julie!