Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day at Work


Yesterday was my first day on the job! A long day, but I have a feeling I'm going to like this place.

About IHN: The Interfaith Hospitality Network is a community of churches and faith organizations that provide shelter, meals, and assistance for up to three families in crisis situations. As a group, the families rotate from church to church on a weekly basis. By uniting congregations through our Day Center, and through the support of social service agencies, our program assists these families with finding sustainable housing, job training, employment, and with meeting other various needs.

IHN Athens is the only place where homeless families with children can stay together and receive assistance for all their needs. Our offices are located at the Day Center, where the guest parents use as "home base" to look for jobs and receive career counseling during their time at IHN. The Day Center also provides a home address, phone and fax number to assist in the job hunt. Families stay in the program for maximum of 3 months. Volunteers come in to assist in office tasks and to work with the families.

The two main events I will be working on to begin with are the IHN Golf Tournament and the Volunteer Recognition Dinner. Both events are coming up in the next five weeks, so I will have a lot to do!

No comments: