Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fried Southern Food

I love to cook. I really love to cook with fresh veggies. You can do anything with them and they'll be great because they are fresh. Thankfully, Athens happens to have a farmers market on Saturday mornings, though it is nothing compared to SLO's farmers market (largest weekly farmers market in the nation!) So this morning Julie and I got some great fresh produce including the great southern favorites green tomatoes and okra! As a true southern belle, I got out the oil and corn meal and fried them up for dinner. I think they turned out just marvelous.



Our dinner: fried green tomatoes, fried okra, pink eyed peas, balsamic glazed chicken and a glass of red wine. Mmmmm.

1 comment:

Lisa Lewis said...

Fried okra salad. That was our family tradition. Dredged okra in cornmeal, fried in lard (yes you read that correctly!) with onions and add chopped red tomatoes. Ye um E!

Good job fittin' in Jules! Miss you!